I love technology. Anything to make what I do easier and more fun, I am all for. But the small modern things we all take for granted are surely missed when taken away.
Due to the Ice Storm we had, I had been without electric for NINE days. We had a generator, but you can't run the simplest of things like hot water tank. Vacuum, and of course we can't forget that wonderful thing that dries your clothes.
I did the old school method, boiled water on stove top for bath. I don't have a clothes line, so I had to drape clothing and towels across my deck railing. Jeans being a little stiff you can handle. T-shirts came out okay. But OMG the towels were so stiff I swear it was like drying off with sandpaper.... Poor Chase, I dried him off and he was like ouch.... what's wrong with the towels?
So Thursday morning, I was awakened by someone messing around in the back yard, I'm trying to open my eyes (only been asleep for 1 hr) when I hear the generator go off. My first thought was that someone was steeling it, so I look outside and saw an amazing sight. Two guys from the electric company. They disconnected the generator, turned my power on, replaced the cover on the meter and I had electric. It was awesome. I started to run out the front door and give them a big hug, but I don't think they would've been thrilled with my Grumpy jammies and my hair going in a hundred different directions. They may have hit my Jeep trying to leave out.
So after that I lay there trying to go back to sleep, but kept thinking about how much laundry I needed to do and that I really wanted a soft towel after a hot shower. And how nasty my carpet was, so I just got up. Did laundry, vacuumed the floors, other mild cleaning and took a hot shower. I think I used all of the hot water too.
So God Bless the makers of modern technology. I am truely grateful!!
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Grateful
Posted by sheila_j71 at 11:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment